Tuesday, March 4, 2008

March 4 - Patterns & Quilting History from book by Rose Wilder Lane

I imagine that many of you, like me, sometimes bypass older books of quilting patterns when browsing at used book stores or garage sales. There are many reasons for this, perhaps we think the patterns are too old fashioned or the techniques to difficult or time consuming since the instructions are often from before the advent of the rotary cutter and other wonderful devices. Luckily my Dad did not pass this book set by when he saw it at the library used book sale in his home town. He gave it to me for Christmas. Many of the patterns are based upon historical quilts and needlework. I found them fascinating and inspiring to look at. I'll be sharing them with you at the meeting. Additionally, I'll bring two quilts that my great grandmother's made. Some of you have seen them before, but I know that some of you have not.

And, yes the book is by Rose Wilder Lane daughter of Laura Ingels Wilder.

-- Amy Monahan

No comments: